A Little Background Information About Me

Hello and welcome! My name is Mustafa Al-Tahan. I was born in Baghdad, Iraq in 1989. I have been living in Canada since 1996. I maintain a part-time job at a local convenience store called Rabba Fine Foods, while attending college. Like any other 20 year old out there, I like to spend a lot of my free time either playing video games or with my friends. In addition, I also love to play guitar. I currently own 2 guitars, an electric guitar made by Ibanez (IBART-500) and an acoustic made by Takamine. I also do my best to try to stay up to date with the new and more advanced technologies. Despite the fact that I currently only make an insignificant $400 a month, I never hesitate to blow it all on a new Ipod or computer hardware.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My Business Hero...

Out of all the CEO's in the world, I idolize Warren Buffett more then anyone else. Warren Buffett is currently the second richest man in the United States, coming second to a good friend of his Bill Gates.Warren Buffett grew up in Omaha,Nebraska and even in his early years he was a very successful person. He bought his first shares when he was 11 for $38, and then sold them at $40. He also made a total of $5,000 delivering newspapers before he had graduated high-school. After high-school, Buffett went to the Wharton Business School in Pennsylvania. Buffett was first recognized for the amount of money he made in 1962. He had made over 7 million dollars through partnerships and mergers. His luck in business only increased from that point. In the year 1979, shares in Berkshire Hathaway Inc., which was owned by Warren Buffett, were selling at $775 per share. Currently he owns shares in many companies such as American Express, Coca-Cola, Comcast, and many more.


Although Warren Buffett is a very smart and successful business man, I don't idolize him because of his success, but rather because of his lifestyle. Unlike every other person on earth, Buffett absolutely despises technology. He doesn't live in a $20 million dollar home, and doesn't have 10 Porsche's that which he only uses for bragging rights, in fact, he doesn't even own a cellphone! Instead, he lives in a small house which he bought when he got married in the 1950's, and prefers to drive himself everywhere as opposed to hiring a driver. The reason why his lifestyle makes me idolize him is simple. It is well known that money corrupts, and it is also a common goal for everyone to want a lot of money. What is very scary for a lot of people is the question "if I had a lot of money, would I be who I am?", and Warren Buffett answers that question through his lifestyle.I realized this when I watched him give a lecture to a bunch of graduating MBA students, in which, if I didn't know who he was, I would have assumed he was just another motivational speaker who wants to encourage these students into "being the best they can be". His actions in that speech made me feel as though that he is similar to any other person, and that he is a person that I can relate to.


A very brief but interesting biography of Warren Buffet can be found at A very brief biography of Warren Buffet can be found at http://beginnersinvest.about.com/cs/warrenbuffett/a/aawarrenbio_3.htm
The video where Warren Buffett was giving a speech to the graduating MBA students can be found at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfuXKpMFUjc

No comments:

Post a Comment