A Little Background Information About Me

Hello and welcome! My name is Mustafa Al-Tahan. I was born in Baghdad, Iraq in 1989. I have been living in Canada since 1996. I maintain a part-time job at a local convenience store called Rabba Fine Foods, while attending college. Like any other 20 year old out there, I like to spend a lot of my free time either playing video games or with my friends. In addition, I also love to play guitar. I currently own 2 guitars, an electric guitar made by Ibanez (IBART-500) and an acoustic made by Takamine. I also do my best to try to stay up to date with the new and more advanced technologies. Despite the fact that I currently only make an insignificant $400 a month, I never hesitate to blow it all on a new Ipod or computer hardware.

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Jobs That I'v Worked......So Far

At the age of 13, I realized that a $40/month allowance simply wasn't enough for me to go to the movies and enjoy my time with my friends, so I decided to take a paper route with the Mississauga News. I was responsible for delivering the newspapers to the houses around my block, which were about 80 houses, 3 times a week. Although this did provide me with an extra $120/month, it was probably the worst job I've done, I especially realized that during the winter season. Every time I slipped and fell on the ice and dropping all of the papers my hatred for that job increased. Fortunately I able to put up with the paper route until I found a better job at the age of 16. That summer, my sister decided to quit working at Rabba Fine Foods, and needed a replacement. So I went in and got trained to work as stock boy. Luckily, the manager decided to hire me, and I have been working there ever since. Although the job pays little, I chose it over other jobs simply because of the fact that the hours are flexible. I only work on weekends during the school year, and I pick up an extra 20-30 hours a week during the summer and during Christmas break.

Although I have continued to work for Rabba, I have also taken other summer jobs to save up some money for college. When I was 18, I worked at a factory called AMT Plastics Inc. It wasn't hard and it was the highest paying job that I had worked, however, long hours combined with night shifts made that job too difficult for me to keep during the school year.

Last summer, when I was 19, I received a request from the headquarters of Rabba Fine Foods to help a new store manager set up the store. For about 2 months, the manager and I were alternating 2 shifts. In addition to that we were responsible for recruiting and training new employees, helping customers, and dealing with deliveries and shipments. Thankfully, we were able to find the right employees before my school year started, and I was able to go back to my part-time summer job.

No comments:

Post a Comment